Every year in late August, I head to a small organic farm in the Irish Hills of Southeastern Michigan for their annual Holler Fest. I’ve been going since its inception fourteen years ago, and that’s even where I met my wife, Sarah. This year, of course, is unusual. I’d planned to be at Frog Holler Farm this week listening to music and making new recordings to share with you. But instead, I’m sitting at my desk at home, listening to recordings from last year’s festival—including performances from the Raisin Pickers, Breathe Owl Breathe, Matt Jones & the Reconstruction, Jenny Jones, Cold Tone Harvest, Billy King, Audra Kubat, Team Love, and Westbound Situation—in Holler Fest’s tiny, nineteenth century stone cabin in the woods. It’s the next best thing to being there, I s’pose, so that’s what we’re going to hear this week.
Funding for the Chenango Sessions is provided in part by a project grant from the Broome County Arts Council’s United Cultural Fund.
Stream the episode
(Unless otherwise noted, all pieces recorded by Cory Robinson, and mixed by Andru Bemis, 23-25 August 2019.)
- 00:00 – [Intro] Bemis, Andru. “Two Years Too Late”. Rail To Reel, Wepecket, 2006.
- 01:00 – Raisin Pickers. “What a Little Moonlight Can Do”. Written by Harry M. Woods.
- 04:49 – Breathe Owl Breathe. “Two Moths”.
- 09:40 – Jones, Matt & the Reconstruction. “Waltzing With Lady Dawn”. Written by Matt Jones.
- 13:27 – Jones, Jenny. “Understanding”.
- 18:21 – Cold Tone Harvest. (unknown title).
- 22:42 – King, Billy. “Who You Gonna Trust”. Written by Ken King. Recorded by Andru Bemis & Cory Robinson.
- 27:23 – Kubat, Audra. “Like the Wind”. Recorded by Andru Bemis & Cory Robinson.
- 30:41 – Team Love. “Silent Movie”. Written by Tim Berla. Recorded by Andru Bemis.
- 35:18 – Westbound Situation. (unknown title).
- 39:34 – Raisin Pickers. “Long Lonesome Home”. Traditional.
- 43:09 – Kubat, Audra. “The Sliver and the Salve”. Recorded by Andru Bemis & Cory Robinson.
- 46:29 – Breathe Owl Breathe. “Julie”.
- 48:55 – Team Love. “A Little Bitty Bite”. Written by Tim Berla. Recorded by Andru Bemis.
- 54:24 – [Outro] Jones, Matt & the Reconstruction. “Into the Valley Tom Fool”. Written by Matt Jones.